"Some people only dream of angels; we held one in our arms."

Below you will find Austin's story in multiple parts in order to tell the full story of my pregnancy, his birth, funeral and the months following.

Friday, February 12, 2010

God's Lent Child

I had coffee this morning with a woman, who lost a son nearly twenty years ago (amazing, how many people I have met in my hometown who have been through this.) She shared with me the following poem:

God's Lent Child
"I'll lend you for a little while
A child of mine," God said--
"For you to love the while she lives,
And mourn for when she's dead.

It may be one or two years
Or forty two or three;
But will you, till I call her back,
Take care of her for me?

She'll bring her charms to gladden you
And--(Should her stay be brief)-
You'll have her lovely memories
As a solace for your grief.

I cannot promise she will stay,
Since ALL from earth return;
But the lessons taught below
I want this child to learn.

I've looked the whole world over
In search for teachers true;
And from the things that crowd
Life's lane-- I have chosen you.

Will you give her all your love?
Nor think the labor vain?
Nor hate me when I come to take
This lent child back again?"

I fancied that I heard them say
"Dear Lord, Thy will be done.
For joys Thy child will bring
The risk of grief we'll run.

We will shelter her with tenderness,
We'll love her while we may--
And for the happiness we've known
Forever grateful stay.

But should Thy angels call for her
Much sooner than we've planned,
We'll brave the grief that comes
And try to understand."

5 comments:

  1. I was in shock over how many people in my town have lost a child. It is so heartbreaking. Beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still amazed at the numbers of women coming out the woodwork in my area who have come forward to tell me their stories. Its unreal how many of us there really are. Love the poem! *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, was amazed at how many women have lost children. Many I have known for years. Many whispered in my ear as they embraced me to let me know that they understand, even a little bit.
    That was a beautiful poem, Meredith. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. stop by my blog, there is a suprise there for you in honor of Austin. Happy Valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother received this poem from her best friend in 1965, when my father died unexpectedly at age 48. I've shared it many, many times. I found that the author was Florence Correa. Someone else may be able to document this. It brought great comfort to my family, and to all I've shared it with since then.

    ReplyDelete